TO: Upper Delaware Towns and Townships, and County Governments
FROM: Laurie Ramie, Executive Director
DATE: June 19, 2020
SUBJECT: AVAILABILITY OF FY 2021 TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE GRANTS (TAGs)
APPLICATIONS DUE AUGUST 28, 2020
The Upper Delaware Council (UDC) will make funds available to its 13 member towns and townships and five county governments in NY and PA for projects related to the implementation of the River Management Plan for the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River for the 33rd year. Since 1988, the UDC has awarded $891,952 in grants for 257 projects under this reimbursement program.
TAGs will be awarded competitively, with priority given to applications that involve the preparation or revision of relevant laws, plans, and ordinances to substantially conform with the Upper Delaware enabling legislation, the River Management Plan, and the Land and Water Use Guidelines.
Projects that support land use planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) planning, zoning ordinances and revisions, codification of laws, and updates of comprehensive and master plans are emphasized for solicitation. Grants may also be used to develop local zoning to protect cultural/historical resources and for planning projects related to land use, building, and site design plans for the protection of historic resources in the river valley.
Applicants MUST define how the project meets specific goals and objectives of the River Management Plan to qualify for this financial assistance, which the UDC apportions from the annual federal funds provided for its operations under a Cooperative Agreement with the National Park Service.
The FY 2021 (Oct. 1, 2020-Sept. 30, 2021) round will observe the following schedule:
- Friday, August 28, 2020 – Completed applications must be postmarked, delivered, or emailed to the UDC by 4:30 p.m. on this date.
- Tuesday, September 8, 2020 – A special meeting of the UDC’s Project Review Committee will be convened at 6:30 p.m. at the Council’s office in Narrowsburg to meet with applicants and review their proposals.
- Thursday, October 1, 2020 – A vote on the awarding of Technical Assistance Grants is expected at the UDC’s monthly meeting to be held at 7:00 p.m. at the Council’s office.
- Friday, February 26, 2021 – Grantees must submit a Mid-Term Progress Report to the UDC by this date to outline the project’s status.
- Friday, August 20, 2021 – Grantees must complete their projects to the satisfaction of the Contract Criteria and submit a payment request to the UDC for reimbursement of allowable expenses.
Important points to remember:
- Funding is provided on a one-time reimbursement basis upon successful project completion.
- No project work may commence until a contract between the grant recipient and the UDC is mutually executed and returned.
- Generally, grantees have a 10-month period to complete their projects within the UDC’s federal fiscal year administrative period.
- The applicant may assign work to a qualified subcontractor; however, the town, township, or county government must demonstrate approval for the application and agree to serve as the fiduciary for its administration.
- While no funding match is required, listing other sources of funding or in-kind services for the project may raise its ranking during the evaluation process.
- The UDC requires applicants to send a representative to the Project Review Committee’s special meeting scheduled for Sept. 8 to answer any questions pertaining to their grant application. The applicant is responsible to contact the UDC office to identify who that individual will be for the assignment of times on the agenda.
There are certain limitations on the use of these funds:
- Funding is limited to town/townships participating in the Upper Delaware Council and their respective county governments. This includes: Town of Hancock, Town of Fremont, Town of Delaware, Town of Cochecton, Town of Tusten, Town of Highland, Town of Lumberland, Town of Deerpark, NY; Damascus Township, Berlin Township, Lackawaxen Township, Shohola Township, Westfall Township, PA; Delaware, Sullivan and Orange Counties, NY; Wayne and Pike Counties, PA.
- Funding is for planning projects, and not for such activities as land acquisition, construction, or other “brick and mortar” capital improvement projects.
- Funding is only for projects related to the implementation of the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River Management Plan.
- The allowability and allocability of federal funds to support the project will be determined in advance of the contract being issued.
- Payment of grant funds will be disbursed only after the completion of the work as specified in each individual grant contract and approved by the Project Review Committee Final payment will be authorized after the final product is received, successfully reviewed and found to be in substantial conformance with the Upper Delaware Land and Water Use Guidelines (if applicable to the project).
Additional Resources for Technical Assistance Grants:
- River Management Plan for the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River with the Land and Water Use Guidelines: http://www.upperdelawarecouncil.org/publications/
- Visit the Grants Program page at upperdelawarecouncil.org to find:
-A list of all Past TAG Projects by municipality;
-UDC Contract and Grant Criteria with detailed explanations; and
-Downloadable forms including the FY 2021 TAG Application
Please call our office at (845) 252-3022 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.